Quibebe is a traditional and signature squash soup dish originating in Northeastern Brazil. It is a great butternut squash soup with addition of a unique spicy kick. It is typically served as an accompaniment or an appetizer before a meal. It has a very rich and thick creamy texture, and is a hearty soup with tons of flavor. It is quite simple and easy to make, and perfect for making during the winter when butternut squash is in season.
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 tomato, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 lbs butternut squash, cubed
4 cups beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chopped parsley to garnish
1) Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, tomato, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
2) Add the squash, beef stock, salt, and sugar.
3) Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered for 30 min, or until the squash is soft and tender.
4) Puree the mixture in a blender. Once it is well blended, place it back in the pan and let it cook for another 5 minutes until smooth and consistent.
5) Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.