Goiabada is a signature Brazilian guava paste. Goiabada is extremely popular in Brazilian cuisine because of its unique Guava flavor that is perfect for combining in many Brazilian desserts. Great for spreading on toasted bread or just about anything. It can be bought in many stores throughout Brazil but here is a simple and easy way to make the homemade version.
12 guava fruits
3 cups sugar
1.5 cups water
1) Wash and peel the guava fruits, reserving the peels.
2) Cut the guavas into pieces place in a blender at medium speed until it reaches a smooth and even consistency.
3) Pass it through a sieve and set aside.
4) Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Stop stirring and let it boil for 3-4 minutes.
5) Add the puree and a quarter of the reserved peel.
5) Stir until the mixture thickens and you can see the bottom of the pan when stirring. Remove from the heat.
6) Add the guava paste to a serving dish and let cool in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
7) Once cooled, unmold from the serving dish and slice into pieces to serve.