Coconut Curry Chicken, or Frango Caril com Coco, is a typical Brazilian dish that combines curry and coconut flavors to great effect. The smooth and distinct combination of coconut and curry flavors not only combines for an unbelievable taste, but adds a wonderful scented aroma which emanates from the dish. Frango Caril com Coco is surprisingly very simple and easy to make and is always sure to impress.
6 chicken thighs, sliced into cubes
2 onions, sliced
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons butter
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 cup rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large frying pan, on low heat, melt butter. Once it melts, add the curry powder. Mix it around until well blended.
2) Pour in the can of coconut milk. Mix it well.
3) In a separate fry pan, sauté the garlic and the onions with the olive oil.
4) Once the onions are soft and slightly browned, throw in the cubed chicken.
5) Once the meat is cooked very lightly, add the contents of the pan to the pan with the coconut curry mix. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
6) Mix it all together well, and turn the heat to high. Once it starts bubbling, lower the heat to low and let it simmer with a cover.
7) Start boiling the rice in another saucepan as it simmers.
8) Let the pan simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes until the chicken is well cooked.
9) Once done, pour into a platter, sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and serve with the boiled rice.