Sopa de Abóbora e Coco is a Brazilian style Coconut Butternut Squash soup that is very popular in the summer months. The delicious scent and flavor of coconut combined with some rich butternut squash makes for quite a soup. The combination of the sweet potato and butternut squash makes it quite healthy and nutritious as well. This is an unbelievably flavorful soup that is sure to impress and can be made without much fuss.
1/2 lb. butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion chopped
1 large sweet potato
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Peel and deseed the butternut squash and sweet potato. Chop them into cubes.
2) Place the olive oil and tablespoon of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened.
3) Add the squash, sweet potatoes, cumin, cinnamon, and sugar to the saucepan and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are lightly browned.
4) Add the chicken stock, season for salt and pepper, then simmer vegetables over low heat until they are tender, about 15 minutes.
5) Once the squash and sweet potatoes are cooked through, use a spoon to add them to a blender. Add coconut milk and lime juice to the blender and process until it’s smooth.
6) Add blended mixture back to the saucepan and whisk gently over low heat until evenly heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7) Serve while hot.