This is the delicious recipe for Brazilian breakfast style corn cakes, known as Broa de Fubá. A delicious and traditional dish which is loved by people all over, it is very simple to make and awesome to eat. It is one of my favorite Brazilian sides and is typically enjoyed with some tea in the morning, but you can honestly enjoy some of these corn cakes at any time. They have a rich and sweet taste like many typically corn cakes but still contain a unique Brazilian flavor. Try it out and tell us what you think!
*Makes 12 corn squares*
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
1 pinch salt
1) Preheat the oven to 395 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Flour and grease a 2 inch deep 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
3) In a 1-quart saucepan, heat the butter over low heat until melted.
4) In a large bowl, beat the melted butter, milk, eggs, flour, sugar, cornmeal, oil, salt, and baking powder with a fork or wire whisk until well mixed.
5) Once well mixed, pour the batter into the pan and spread the batter evenly smooth on top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
6) Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool slightly for a couple of minutes. Then cut into squares or diamond shapes when ready to serve.
7) Serve while hot, enjoy!