Moquecas are a Brazilian specialty. They are a combination of delicious Brazilian flavors and spices like dende oil and coconut milk in a unique Brazilian style stew. This is a Moqueca de Frango, a Brazilian Chicken Moqueca from the region of Bahia in north. It is an absolutely delicious combination of Brazilian ingredients in a rich and flavorful dish that has an unbelievable scent, and is sure to impress.
2 pounds chicken
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, sliced thick
1 green pepper, sliced thick
1 red pepper, sliced thick
3 tomatoes peeled and seeded, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 chicken stock cube
1 tablespoon dende oil (You should be able to find this locally, if not you can buy some here on Amazon)
1 cup of coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1) In a bowl, season the chicken pieces with a salt and pepper to taste and the lemon juice and let it marinate for 10 minutes.
2) In a large saucepan heat the olive oil and brown the chicken pieces.
3) Add the onion, peppers, and tomatoes.
4) Add the chicken stock cube to a cup of boiling water, stirring well until completely dissolved.
5) Pour the chicken stock in the saucepan.
6) Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes
7) When the chicken is tender and the sauce is even and consistent, add the dendle oil, coconut milk, parsley and cilantro.
8) Heat it on low heat for 10 minutes while stirring well. Serve while hot.